The mum-of-two only discovered her house had been set alight when she got home
She said: “The first thing I noticed was the curtains – I remember drawing
them before we left and there was nothing in the window.
“Then I just saw what had happened and rushed in to see everything smoke
damaged and burnt – the smell was horrible.
“Ellie ran up to her room and was so upset – her toys and clothes were all
“We had a really good holiday and then everything just turned really bad,
really quickly. If Ellie was in her bedroom, it could have all been so much
worse. I just don’t want to think about what could have happened.”
Ellie, who lost dozens of prized possessions and a beloved hamster in the
blaze, said: “All my stuff was ruined and it made me pretty sad when I first
saw it all.”
The neighbour – who would not give his name – dismissed the fire as a mistake.
He said: “It was just a big accident. There had been a wasp nest in the wall
cavity for some time and I decided to try to smoke them out.
“I got a rag and put some spirit on it, then put that on the end of a pole to
try to get rid of the wasps.
“A bit of wind came and the fire just got out of control very quickly. I was
surprised by how quickly it all happened.”
Edited for Telegraph.co.uk by Katie Grant
Man sets fire to neighbour’s house trying to smoke out wasp nest – Telegraph.co.uk
wasp nest – Google News